Photography Help


I’ve become a photo-taking addict. I’m constantly trying different ways to get a great photo. It’s becoming as fun as the art I create. If any of you have any suggestions on how to take low-light photos with a digital camera, I would love to get your advice. I really don't like to use the flash. It washes out the subject and detracts from the natural beauty of the item being photographed. I don’t have the best camera, but it’s decent enough for now. My problems are specifically with the graininess I’m getting in the low light. Sometimes it looks cool, but most of the time it just blurs and muddies what I’m trying to photograph. I want the camera to display see what my eye sees.

I had the nicest blogger recently tell me she sets up a lot of her shots in diffused outdoor light. This really works great, but many times the things I want to photograph are in my house and not movable. So if anyone has any handy tips for those low-light indoor photos, I would greatly appreciate it!



Here are some photos in my house in low light.









There are the grainiest photos I've ever taken!





This one I corrected with auto correct. The lighting looks interesting.

I'll post some more photos inside my house tomorrow.

13 comments:

Lori said...

i have the same trouble Nancy...and i have a hard time because there are not a lot of sunny days here where i am...i will have to stop back over and see if you get some tips from those in the know:)

ps: your low light pics are MUCH better than anything i have produced!

Charm & Grace said...

Nancy, I think your photos are lovely... but I have experienced that same thing. My camera (Kodak Easyshare) has a low light setting that I can select.. which seems to help. It also has a night portrait setting which sometimes works. Other than that I have no advice, but you can be sure that I'll be checking back to make sure I catch any advice that comes your way from others.

Blessings,
Christi

Couture de Papier said...

Photos are perfect! YOUR TAGGED..please stop by my blog for details!!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Nancy!
Same problems here! But your photos always look GREAT! I'm so happy to have a digital camera for the first time (since Christmas) I haven't gotten too fussy yet, BUT have noticed the graininess that you're talking about. If you get a solution please let us know!!
Hugs, Sherry

Kim said...

I am afraid I have much the same to say as the other artists... I reacently got a digital camera and the lowlight pictures are all grainy... but like yours, mostly I like them. I simply don't have the photography skills or equiptment to do better.

Rosemary said...

Your photos always look good.
I don't know too much about it.
I got a new camera for Christmas, and I am still trying to figure it all out.
Have fun,
Rosemary

BailiwickDesigns said...

I'll be watching your comments to see if I can snag any advice for myself! I still haven't conquered the indoor light, except sometimes with a low shutter speed and a tripod. It doesn't seem to work for product shots, though, although it often makes other photos look interesting. ::Jill

bluemuf said...

I also love your photo's. I solved the problem with single product shots and bought a light studio. But, with indoor house shots I have the same problem you do. I look forward to hearing all the answers and hopefully someone will come up with something.

Hugs karen

Sugar Bear said...

I don't have many words of wisdom but have you tried Google? I always find answers there!
Karla

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

gorgeous pics!!! xo Britt :-)

rochambeau said...

Hi Nancy,
Hope all is well in your world today. I always like your photos. Don't think you need help so don't know if this answer could assist you. For tighter shots like of your flower, birdie or for your slippers for instance: Set your camera to Macro (aka Collections) turn OFF your flash. Keep your hand REALLY steady!
Happy Day to you.
xo
C

Babsarella said...

I have the same types of problems but I have a few suggestions that may help. Take photos in morning or afternoon on a sunny day, and open all shades/curtains to get in the most light. Set your camera on the fastest speed you can, and because of that, use a tripod to keep it steady. You might also try turning on any lighting that will come from behind. If you come across any great tips, I hope you will post them as I am looking for ideas to resolve this problem too.

Dapoppins said...

I get that graininess and the yellow light too with my camera. Drives me nutts. But I want a simple solution...