What I've Learned About Blog Photo Quality

This post is about the actual quality of Blogger’s photo uploader versus Photobucket’s uploader. Yes, Photobucket is the uploader I use for my photos. In a side by side comparison of Blogger and Photobucket: Photobucket’s uploader is better. In the beginning, Blogger and Photobucket are free services. Eventually though, if you blog long enough and post enough photos, you will have to start paying for those services. The only alternative is to create a new blog and open up another Photobucket account.

Eventual costs involved using Blogger and Photobucket together:

Blogger Users ~

Did you know that your photo storage for your blog will reach a maximum limit? I think that Blogger allows for 1 GB of photo storage space. That is quite a bit, but you may need more storage later on. At that point, you will have to start paying Blogger to host your photos. I think the extra storage cost for 10 GB of storage is $20.00 USD per year. That’s a lot of photo storage! To confirm this I would click on the help tab of your Blogger Dashboard and type in Extra Photo Storage. The link for the Blogger photo FAQ sheet will be there. Click on it for more information.

Photobucket ~

Their service is free at first, but eventually you have the same issue as with Blogger. You will max out your monthly bandwidth and have to get a pro-account. The cost for the Photobucket pro-account is $39.95 a year, or $11.00 for every three months.

So the current combined cost for Blogger and Photobucket will be either $59.95 or $64.00 a year, depending on how you pay for your services.

Typepad ~

If this seems expensive (remember, you won’t pay anything until you’ve maxed your Blogger and Photobucket accounts), there is a third price comparison using Typepad as an example. By the way, Typepad has a better photo uploader than Blogger. But it isn’t as good as the Photobucket quality I’ve been getting. All that said, if you don’t want the hassle of two separate accounts, Typepad may be for you.

If you have a Typepad account, you have the ease of directly uploading your photos with good photo quality. Also, it includes the large size format. The only drawback is the monthly cost. The lowest priced Typepad account that serious bloggers would want to use is $8.95 a month. Your total for the year would be $107.40 with Typepad. So it is a little pricier. The more bells and whistles you want to add to your blog, the more expensive it becomes.

Phew, I didn’t mean to get into all of that. I hope this information is helpful to you all.

Now for a look at the quality of the photos using the Blogger and Photobucket uploaders. Below I have marked the photos for you to compare. I think it’s pretty clear who the winner is.


This photo was uploaded with the Blogger uploader, using their large format.

The photo looks hazy and grainy to me.



This photo was uploaded with the Photobucket uploader, in the same size (400px) as the Blogger photo above.

There is a huge difference in quality!



This photo was also uploaded with the Photobucket uploader, but I then edited the code to the size I normally use. Note that when you upload from the Photobucket uploader, the photos will be super large and you will need to edit the size.

By the way, Ulla and Tatting Chic: this photo features a polymer clay pin cushion I fashioned out of a fairy stool. The little fishbowl stickpins are vintage and they do hold vintage paste rhinestones. Good eye, Tatting Chic!

My next post will be a detailed post on using Photobucket to upload your photos to Blogger.

Ultimately, if we all owned DSLR cameras, we wouldn’t have to go through any of this! Oh well, c’est la vie!!

22 comments:

LiLi M. said...

Yes this information sure is helpful. I (am a total noob yes) didn't know that there was Photobucket at all! Thanks Nancy! I am very eager to read more!

Lori said...

for blogger, you would also have to have a new account to have the max photo storage...a new blog on the same account does not change your limit...i found that out when i changed my blog...i have already deleted some posts on my old blog to free up some space...i don't want to have to pay to blog...

The Victorian Parlor said...

Great information! Thanks for sharing:)

LW said...

A DSLR camera...to dream....

Thanks for all of the information.
I always wondered how blogger made money...
I wonder what percent of bloggers pay for extra space.

Love the fairy stool and fish bowls…very cute…

Louise

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi Nancy! I need to study this at length; if I had this sort of camera you are describing, I wouldn't have to pay for the services? Am I understanding correctly as I am trying to read your information under hectic conditions as my morning starts?!!! I will have to speak to you. Bless you!! Anita

Jessie said...

thanks that was really helpful... just starting out!

Serendipit-Us said...

I JUST, this very minute, finished opening a Photobucket account. After playing with it for nearly an hour...and I haven't even scratched the surface of all the gadgets & gizmos, I am finding it to be such fun to work with! How "serendipitous" that your post is about picture editing! Thanks so much.
~Kimberly~

Janet said...

Very good information. I'm sure I'll have to start thinking about it soon enough as my blog is almost three years old. At least now I have some info to base my decision on, thanks to you.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

What a differance, all from the same photo! I keep thinking I need a new camera, but maybe that isn't the issue.

Meredith Teagarden(The Things we Carried) said...

Who knew? Thanks for sharing all of these tidbits. When I get my new camera I may have o do some revamping. No wonder my picts are not so great when loaded.

Gabriela said...

Hello Nancy,

This is great info, thanks for sharing!


~ Gabriela ~

TattingChic said...

Very cool! Thanks for that very helpful information! I will "file" that away for future use! I love that fairy stool "pincushion"! :)

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Nancy!

Thanks for the great info! Do you know if Blogger can tell you how much you presently have stored? I don't know much!! I'm so glad to know there's a limit.

I also love the fairy stool!

Hugs, Sherry

Kathleen Sigg said...

So exactly what did you mean by "if we all owned DSLR cameras we wouldn't have to go through any of this"? I don't have a blog, but I'm looking into it. I do, however, have a DSLR. The whole blog world really intimidates me!

Betzie said...

I had no idea about all of this...very interesting reading. I didn't realize I'd ever have to pay either! Wow...what if we keep deleting our photos on Photobucket?
Thanks Nancy for this post and the stool is unique and clever!

Efrat Dalton said...

Thank you for sharing. I didn't know that there is a limit for uploading photos... I do own DSLR and I love it.
I’m looking forward for your next post.

Fete et Fleur said...

Hi Kathleen!

It's great that you have a DSLR. Your photos should upload beautifully to Blogger. The Blogger uploader needs high resolution photos for it to upload well. So you shouldn’t need the Photobucket account.

Unfortunately, the old point and shoots don’t have that kind of quality. You shouldn’t be intimidated to start a blog. Just go for it. Share what you love.

N.

Sweet Remembrance said...

Wow...what a difference!
Thanks for the info...
Priscilla

Marie Antionette said...

Thanks for the info Hon,I was wondering about typepad.It is pricie.I'll tell my daughter to take a look for she is the one who uploads my crap.Hugs Marie Antionette.

~CC Catherine said...

Very helpful info., yes, very! ~CC Catherine

Jennifer Williams "Blueskysunburn" said...

Wow! What a difference in the photos! I am going to have to play with my photobucket and blogger accounts and see what I come up with.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting place you've got here. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Bella Benedict