Happy Thanksgiving and a Fun Craft for Your Kids






A peek into my kitchen with its brick fireplace. We won't be having Thanksgiving here at home. We always have a beautiful celebration at my MIL's house. Most of the family will be together. We will be missing those who can not make it.




I know that many of you will have your children home for the holiday and may want to involve them in the planning (or just keep them busy while you're planning).

Homemade Thanksgiving Napkin Rings

You will need:

1 Leaf punch

1 Small circle punch

26 or 24 gauge wire

Glue gun ~ Mom, Dad, or an older teenage sibling should handle the glue gun. If you don't have a glue gun, you can use crafting glue.

Glitter

Craft glue

Paint in any color (I used gold)

Thin paint brushes to apply glue and paint


First, punch out a bunch of paper leaves and circles. Decorate the tops of the leaves with glitter or paint. You can have your kids draw patterns on the leaves with a thin paintbrush dipped in white crafting glue. Then have them dip the glued leaves in a small bowl filled with glitter. Shake the excess glitter off and set the leaves aside.

Don't decorate the circles unless you want to. The circles are going to be the backing for the leaves. I used contrasting colors for the leaves and then a contrasting background circle so the leaves would stand out.





Now you want to create rings of gold wire. These will be the bases you glue your leaves and circles to. Determine the circumference you want for your rings and cut twice this length of wire. Fold the wire in half and twist the wire together to form a ring like the ones below.





Place one paper circle on the inside of a gold ring. Apply a drop of crafting glue or a drop of glue from your glue gun onto the circle.



Now sandwich the piece of wire in between the circle and a leaf. Repeat this as many times as you need to surround the entire ring with leaves.





Here is the finished napkin ring.


Enjoy your week and may your Thanksgiving be a joyful one.

PS My computer is on its way out and I'm not doing much blog visiting because of this. I'm posting this from hubby's work computer. I hope to have a working computer soon. Miss you all!



8 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

What a fun activity for the children, love it
Alison

LiLi M. said...

That brick fire place gives such a warm feeling even on the computer! Love your tutorial Nancy. I do hope that you don't have to wait too long for your computer as I always feel a little incomplete without one. it is a bit of a window to the world to me. Have a great weekend!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

OHHH HOW COZY!! LOve the felt; it reminds me of school crafts as a child. We will miss you so much ma belle! BISOUS À TOUS! Anita

The Rose Room said...

Oh I could snuggle in front of that fire place reading a good book! And in your kitchen too! Divine!

Auntie Cake said...

If you don't mind, I just want to park myself in front of your kitchen fireplace with a good book. I promise I will get a loaf of bread going before delving into the pages...

Great craft idea for the kids. We are eating late this year and with 12 kids running around, they could use something to do. Thanks for sharing the idea, and I hope you have the most wonderful Thanksgiving with your fmaily!
Kate

NeereAnDear said...

How beautiful and elegant and a lovely way to get the children involved..

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DEAR ONE

LOVE AND HUGS TO YOU AND BILL
JO

Margaret said...

What a lovely little craft! I'm so glad I stopped by. I will have to remember that one for when my daughter is older (at this age she's most likely to eat the leaves!). Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Bonjour dearest sister!

Oh dear, a VIRUS? I am glad that you were able to get back connected and that you came to visit....yes, Suzanne is my neighbor here in the Twin Cities and Erin is an incredible artist. The first time I saw her PEERING HORSE, I thought it was a photo!

May you have a lovely Thanksgiving, and we are thinking of you, wishing to be by your side...again one day dearest, Anita