Paper Fashion ~ Isabelle de Borchgrave


When I created my Confections de Marie paper shoes a few years ago, I didn't know who Isabelle de Borchgrave was.




A kindly blogger sent me the link to her website. Her paper creations are stunning.

Incredible paper shoes by Isabelle de Borchgrave.




I’m happy to say that the Legion of Honor in San Francisco will be hosting an exhibition by Isabelle de Borchgrave called Pulp Fashion.








Pulp Fashion: The Art of Isabelle de Borchgrave
February 5, 2011 - June 5, 2011



Belgian artist Isabelle de Borchgrave is a painter by training, but textile and costume are her muses. Working in collaboration with leading costume historians and young fashion designers, de Borchgrave crafts a world of splendor from the simplest rag paper. Painting and manipulating the paper, she forms trompe l’oeil masterpieces of elaborate dresses inspired by rich depictions in early European painting or by iconic costumes in museum collections around the world. The Legion of Honor is the first American museum to dedicate an entire exhibition to the work of Isabelle de Borchgrave, although her creations have been widely displayed in Europe. Pulp Fashion draws on several themes and presents quintessential examples in the
history of costume—from Renaissance finery of the Medici family and gowns worn by Elizabeth I and Marie-Antoinette to the creations of the grand couturiers Frederick Worth, Paul Poiret, Christian Dior, and Coco Chanel. Special attention is given to the creations and studio of Mariano Fortuny, the eccentric early-20th-century artist who is both a major source of inspiration to de Borchgrave and a kindred spirit.

Can you believe these gorgeous dresses are made of paper? I can’t wait for this exhibit to arrive, I feel like I’ve won the lottery. Visit this link to find out more.

21 comments:

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

I will put it on my list for next year, Nancy. Thanks for letting us know. We were just in SF for the Musée d'Orsay exhibit, cried on the way home, it was that beautiful!
xo~Tracie

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I have seen her work on the internet and it is splendid indeed. Le papier, quel materiel formidable...mes artistes préférés sont cette dame-là et bien sûr, Miss Clara...fais de bons rêves Nancy! Bises, Anita

Elaine said...

Absolutely spectacular! I can not fathom the skill and patience needed to create such stunning pieces. Would love to see it in person.

The French Bear said...

Nancy, this is truly an example of a true artist with skill beyond belief.....how exciting to see her works in person!!!! What gorgeous dresses, so intricate within every detail....soooo beautiful!
I will have to visit the link, thank you for sharing!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

What an incredible and amazing exhibit, Nancy! Lucky you, you get to see it in person. At least we will have your photos to look forward to.

Michelle L. said...

No words. Unbelievable. Thanks, I am so happy you posted this!

LiLi M. said...

Yes I know her work, but I think this cannot be shown often enough. Thanks for that Nancy!

Fleur de Bee said...

I was expected to do two of these types of costumes last year in Art school. NO EASY FEAT!!! I respect and know this artist well. I would LOOVE to fly in to see this exhibit with you. Let's make a date of it and perhaps get a group together. Would be lovely to meet others from blogland as well. Thank you for the inspiration. I am working on a piece that is ballet costume-ey (ha my new word) I needed some direction. This is perfect. xo

LW said...

Amazing workmanship…
An article was in Victoria magazine some years ago about her work. I was captivated then and still am.
I do hope this exhibit finds its way to the east coast.

Louise

Kate Tracton said...

Wow, seeing these pieces I kinda feel inadequate now! :) Thanks for sharing them. It's nice to see how others are inspired.

xoxo,

Kate

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

i love the rococo inspiration! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Marie Arden said...

I love her work and I hope I can get to SF to see the exhibit. Another good excuse to go out there!

Kristin said...

wow..her work is simply beautiful!!!

Brissonte' said...

C'est magnifique! I want to spend one day, just one day, watching her create one of these beautiful dresses.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

OHHHH!!! I know that you are going to be featured as well, non? If so, you will definitely get a copy, but ask Mimi if you get a back issue...THANK YOU FOR COMING DEAREST SISTER! I MISS YOU!!!!! Anita

Rattus Scribus said...

Dear Nancy, thanks for visiting my blog, and thanks for the link to Ann Voskamp's blog A Holy Experience. I read her latest post and it is wonderful.

Much to you et al.

Ruben

Debi said...

Dear Nancy,
I have seen her work before and it is absolutely incredible! I will have to check out you link you posted. I have been in a bit of a blogging funk but am glad to be back again.
XO
Debi

NeereAnDear said...

I am mystified by this amazing talent... the detail is stunning... that anyone can create such beauty out of paper leaves me speechless...

Thank you for sharing this with us

LOTS OF HUGS
JO

Auntie Cake said...

Exquisite creations by both of you! The exhibit will be absolutely stunning, I just know you are going to soak up every little detail for all of us that don't get to attend!
Kate

Anonymous said...

I only wish I lived closer to be able to see her creations.

Anonymous said...

If anyone has information about exactly what kind of "simple rag paper" she uses (weight, brand, etc) I would be very appreciative. Also, coatings info (paint and varnish type, etc). I know she also uses rice paper and pellon, but I'm specifically interested in the rag paper. Thanks! Leslie