Learning to Live with Less




Slowly, oh so slowly, our home is being put back together from the construction mess. Thank you, Constance, for asking. We still haven't painted and we still need to have our tile person come back to finish some minor details, but our home has been all ours since the beginning of December. I sort of shut down after the last worker left our home.

The last several months have been eye opening for us. Temporarily squashed into an even tinier space in our home got us to clarify this journey we've been on. It's been layer after layer peeling away like an onion.

When we moved into this house, we downsized, hoping to be able to make an addition to this home. That dream is not going to be realized here. We saved and stored things that we hoped to use someday in a larger space, and now after all these years it's time to let it go.

As we started to put our furniture back, we only kept those pieces we really loved. We're letting go of our someday dreams so that we can live today in the here and now. Miss Mustard Seed put it perfectly the other day in one of her posts. She said that even though the stuff was stored away, just knowing it was there was causing her stress. I feel the same way, and even though I don't know Miss Mustard Seed, she became a kindred spirit that day.

I'm excited because we're really close now.

6 comments:

June said...

I hope, hope, hope your beautiful floral sofa was one of the things you couldn't part with Nancy. You have such stunning pieces that show your amazing style, and I know it might be hard to part with some of them. I know what you mean about even though they are stored they still cause stress. I know that I need to part with some things, but I form such emotional attachment to that it is so hard. I'm working on it though.
I'm happy to hear that your home is back to being yours!
Your photos are STUNNING!
sending hugs...

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

This happens in more ways than one. Either with the storage of furniture in hopes of a bigger space or the storage of dreams in hopes of a bigger life. But when you do stop to see what YOU ALREADY HAVE, it is more than abundant. Look at this photo - it exudes class, and eye for only what is necessary and beautiful. You already have your "addition" my dear...it is the addition of wisdom. It comes in all forms! LOVE YOU! Anita

Ivy and Elephants said...

Dear Nancy,
You have given me so much to think about. I have been feeling anxious and now I realize that this is exactly the reason why! You've stated it so plainly and matter of fact, that the wisdom and knowledge can't be denied. This is just the message I needed to hear.
Blessings to you,
Patti

Palomasea said...

Anita responded very eloquently here...
I also believe we gain much more than we lose in this process...
Brava, dear Nancy, for gaining much wisdom, and the appreciation for the here and now...and knowing that it can be more than enough.
I never thought that at this age I would be living in a one bedroom apartment with my sweet little family...but oh, it has taught me so very much.
Your place is so gorgeous...your taste...divine...
Enjoy, dear friend...
Love and blessings,
- Irina

Chatelaine said...

Good for you for living more simply. I hope to get there, someday.

Marysol said...

You're much more organized than me, Nancy.
I'm hardly a hoarder, but parting with 'stuff' has never been quite as easy for me.
Getting rid of things makes me want to stamp my little hoofies in protest and have a little cry.

I don't know, but I'm beginning to think I'm hopeless.