Style

Finding your style...



I love creating beautiful spaces. The idea that you can create a mood to enhance certain feelings or bring well-being to someone intrigues me. Years ago when I was first starting out in my own home, I had a lovely gathering of friends over for tea. I didn’t have much in the way of decoration at that time, but I set every place with simple white napkins and mismatched teacups. I had very little furniture but I set the mood with flowers and candles. When we sat down for tea, one of my very dear friends began to cry. I immediately got up to comfort her and ask her what was wrong. “Nothing’s wrong,” she said. “It’s just that you put so much love into this tea party for us. And everything is so beautiful.”

I’ve never forgotten that moment. Though I’ve had varied styles over the years, I always find myself coming back to simplicity. It gives the eye a place to rest and linger, and it feeds the soul.

A few years ago, I came across this quote in designer Carolyn Quartermaine’s book titled “Carolyn Quartermaine Revealed.”

"A kind of studied emptiness sets the tone in all of the rooms."

The guiding principle in her style was elegant and creative simplicity.

I love this concept. I don’t like the idea of empty rooms with uncomfortable furniture, but simple rooms with just the right amount of decor. When is enough, enough? I think each person has to decide that for themselves. I am including in this post some lovely pictures that have inspired me. Using just a few chosen elements in a room can be such a delight.

Give your eye a place to linger and rest your soul.

Victoria Magazine


From "Bringing it Home Sweden"


From "Bringing it Home Sweden"


From "Bringing it Home Sweden"

5 comments:

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Beautiful photos! I am enjoying your blog so much. I definatly need to pull myself in when it comes to simplifying. I don't have a very large house so I really need to be careful how much I bring home. It is hard... sigh. :)

p.s.- thanks for your kind words about the kits! xo

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Nancy, such stunning photos! I am so glad you started blogging, your blog is such a beautiful soft spot to land.

Lidy

Fete et Fleur said...

Hello Sweet Heather and Lidy! I am having so much fun with this blog. It's my hope that people will be inspired to pull up a chair, put on a pot of tea and relax.

Blessings! XOXO Nancy

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

You have just inspired me to try harder. I loved this post. You could probably make a house a home on a sreet corner. xoxo Nita

Fete et Fleur said...

You are so sweet Nita! Thank you!!