DIY Tutorial ~ Paper Butterfly

© Fete et Fleur Designs



Here's the paper butterfly tutorial I promised. You will need a few supplies before you begin:

1. Heavy card stock ~ for the template
2. Glue gun
3. Pretty paper for the butterfly
4. 26 gauge wire
5. Wire cutters


I recommend you read all the instructions first before starting this project.

Disclaimer
(Sorry, gotta have one.)

The author and publisher of this tutorial cannot be held responsible in any way for damages or injuries resulting from its use. This tutorial is for adults only or for children over the age of 14 with adult supervision. If you choose to create the project described in this tutorial, you accept all responsibility for injuries or damages that result from using any of the tools involved. You are using tools that can be dangerous. Please use them responsibly, according to the manufacturers' specifications.

Be safe and enjoy!



I've made three different wing templates for you to use. The first template contains both wings. The second and third templates contain the individual right and left wings. Choose a template below by clicking on it and print it out on the card stock. You can enlarge or shrink these templates to create a butterfly in any size you like.





Cut out the card stock wings and place them onto the paper you've chosen for your butterflies.


Trace 2 sets of wings and then cut them out. You should now have four individual paper wings.


Cut a long length of wire. You'll have to eyeball this because I'm not sure what size your butterflies will be. It all depends on how small or large you printed them out. Bend the end of the wire, making an oval loop. Compare this loop to a section on one of your butterfly wings. Make sure the loop fits inside one of the wing sections.



Now, leave about 1/2 inch of wire away from the end of your last twist. Create another loop and twist the wire again. You'll now have something that looks like antique spectacles. Again, make sure the loops will fit inside one of the wing sections.




Bend this wire frame so it begins to look like wings.




Now pull the wire straight about 1/2 inch and bend the wire in an upward 90 degree angle as pictured below.




Now create another loop on the other side and twist the wire around.




Here is a closeup of the last loop you made.




Now you will have three loops and you will bring the wire down to create the last loop.




Leave a bit of wire to match the length of the other side. Twist the remaining piece of wire around and snip the end with the wire cutters.You now have the internal wire structure for your butterfly!



Now glue one set of your paper wings together and then lay the wire structure on top of them.


You are now going to glue the wire to the wings. Place a small dab of glue from your glue gun on the center of butterfly. Please be careful not to burn yourself.


You now have assembled one side of your butterfly.

To assemble the other side, add another dab of glue in the center over the wire structure, then lay one wing side over the warm glue. Be careful not to burn yourself with the hot glue and press firmly together. It will look like this when you're done.


Do the same on the other side, placing the last wing over the wire and pressing firmly.


Now you will need to close up the wing sections. Place a small dab of glue on the tip of the wire wing structure and press both sides together. Do this on all the wing tips. Be careful not to burn yourself when pressing.


Now bend your butterfly to the desired flight shape. Voila! The finished butterfly.


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Next spring I'm going to cover a whole wall in these.

13 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Ohh do I wish I had the time for this; I am trying to draw on the weekends and that is about all I can do!!These are wonderful, Nancy!!Anita

LiLi M. said...

I'd love to see your (or somebody else's) wall covered in these! Thanks for sharing, belle journée!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Thank you for teaching us how to create these darling butterflies, or
buflies, as my littlest sweetie girl says! Some will be fluttering in the sweetie girls room soon!!

Big hugs, Sherry

LW said...

Thank you Nancy, I love these...

I think they would be fun on a christmas tree as well...

Have a great week,
Louise

Kate Tracton said...

What a great tutorial, Nancy! I love how your butterflies have lit, so gently, on your wall.

Great pictures and steps.

Thanks,

Hugs,

Kate

Karena said...

Nancy these are absolutely stunning. I adore the paper you chose! I see a new project on my list!

I have a Giveaway by the French Basketeer that I think you will love!

Karena
Art by Karena

NeereAnDear said...

Nancy what a lovely project.. how sweet of you to share it with us... I cant wait to get finished with this move so I can start creating .. this looks like so much fun

HUGS
JO

June said...

Hi Nancy,
What a great tutorial! I can't even imagine how tough it would be to put a tutorial together like this. This is so awesome! I love the butterflies and would like to try to make some for myself.
Thank you so much Nancy for your lovely words that you left for me. You always know how to make me feel good about myself. I want you to know that it means a lot.
hugs

Our Hands For Hope said...

Oh I can't wait to see that wall! I love the paper you used.
Terisa

Auntie Cake said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful butterfly tutorial! What a wonderful wall you will have next spring!

Your work is always so beautiful, thanks for your templates also!
Kate

textile artist said...

I have just discovered your blog whilst looking for info about carolyn Quatermaine. would love to follow your blog but no followers button?!
I think your ideas are beautiful....

Cooper City Antique Mall said...

This could be dangerous for me. I spent my last vacation making soda can flowers. I'm thinking butterlies may be my next fete. Thanks for the great idea

Unknown said...

What a lovely butterfly perfect for my daughter's room, thanks for dropping and sharing the steps, well I'll try making my own versing by using fabrics instead of papers, using paper looks good too it's just that what I have now are stunning fabrics which looks perfectly suited with the project.