Pumpkin Iced Cookies

The smell of baking goodies on a cool autumn day. . .

These cookies are some of my favorites. I love to use fresh pumpkin when I bake. It really makes a big difference in the taste. I usually use sugar baby pumpkins. I have to watch out though! They do pack a calorie count. I make sure that after I bake them, I give most of them away. I never seem to have any trouble giving them away. ☺

Photo Flicker


COOKIE
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree or fresh ( I try to use fresh)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

FROSTING
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

(I always add a bit of pumpkin spice or a little cinnamon to this frosting. It spices the cookie up a bit)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and white sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly.

3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.

4. To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency.

5. Add the spices I suggested as well if you want a cookie with a little zing. I would add about 1/8 of a teaspoon or to taste.

I've added a suggestion below from someone who has baked this cookie. Her suggestion should make the cookie a little moister and sweeter.

This recipe is very good. However, I needed to make a few adjustments. I followed the recipe exactly and the end product was this: a cookie that was bready and not sweet (enough for her), so for my second batch I added more pumpkin and more sugar and decreased the baking time to 12 minutes.

Beware! Eat at your own risk.

This recipe is modified from allrecipes.com

23 comments:

GABRIELA DELWORTH said...

Hello Nancy,
It is too bad you don't send them overseas! LOL

~ Gabriela ~

Miss Sandy said...

Delicious post! Love the new fall look you are sporting! These are a must try!

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles said...

Hmmm..this sounds really good and I dont like pumpkin! but my hubbie does so that makes it even better,I can make him a treat and not be tempted to eat them. though these sound so good I may like them anyway!
smiles,
Sandy

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I wish you could give one to me! I LOVE cookies and pumpkin ones sound great!

shiborigirl said...

Thanks for the recipe Nancy - they look fantastic!

*running to the store for pumpkins*

Kate

Fifi Flowers said...

YUM... could you ship some... it's much too HOT to bake! LOL... I could probably mix up the ingredients and sit them outside to bake... LOL!
Enjoy your weekend!
Fifi

Maija said...

I'vew got the recipe copied and the butter on the counter to soften!
Yummy!

Tracie~MPMaison said...

These sound yummy, thank you for the recipe. I shall ask my hubby to make some for me when the weather cools - the photo looks delicious!

Love your banner too - beautiful photography. Glad you kept "The Puff" on your sidebar too.
xo~Tracie

Janet said...

Those sound so yummy! Once it cools down I'll have to try them. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

LiLi M. said...

Mmm this is why I love fall too!

btw sending you the magazine is a Murphies' law story, don't worry, it isn't your postman who is failing, it's me (mea maxima culpa). I do hope I'll send you the magazine next week with a full cover story of what happened AND a translation of the article!

Enjoy your weekend!

TattingChic said...

YUMMMMM!!! This post is getting a big gold star in my google reader for later use! hanks for sharing.

rochambeau said...

Your blog looks delicious Nancy!
xox
Constance

The Brenda Blog said...

Looks so good! Sometimes you just gotta treat yourself, no matter the calories!
Brenda

My Petite Maison said...

Hope your day is extra special today!
xoxo~Tracie

Kristin said...

Ohh YUMMY!!!! Im gonna have to make those delicious looking cookes, and soon..thank you for sharing the recipie!!

teri c said...

mmmmmmm . . . my mouth is watering . . .

Debi said...

I am going out right now to buy pumplin! They look wonderful and sound simply delicious! Thank you for the recipe! And thank you for visiting me awhile ago. I wish I could keep up with my blogging, but have been working and working! Always a delight to visit you!
Can't wait to try the cookies! One more thing, your shoes are abolutely devine!
Hugs,
Debi

Allie said...

I love the new look to your banner. It sets the tone for Autumn so wonderfully. Can't wait to try the cookies!
~Allie

bluemuf said...

Nancy, These cookies sound wonderful I have saved the recipe and will give them a try.

I love the fall look of your blog.

Hugs karen

Bristol said...

Nancy- Love the banner and the cookies! Did you have a good birthday~
Bristol

Patti said...

Very tempting Nancy. They look fantastic and I am sure they taste wonderful!
Hugs
Patti

Rosemary said...

Hi Nancy,
These sound really good. I have to try them.
Thanks for the recipe.
Rosemary

jenny fowler said...

yummy! i like your new fall look you got going on over here. i love this season so much!