Summer Projects


We took our house apart last week. It’s still in disarray and will probably be like this until the end of summer. The challenge for us is to create more room and storage.

My first project was to move our chippy old black piano into our living room/bedroom area so we could have more room in our kitchen. Our kitchen is the gathering space for our family and friends. We desperately needed more room in there, so it was either get rid of the piano or make it work for our space. To make the piano transition easier, I painted it a creamy white. It took two days of sanding, 3 coats of primer, and 2 coats of paint. I added two mismatched lamps I had floating around the house for light. I love the way it turned out.



Adore this sweet seashell finial!




My next task was to empty closets and figure out where to put things we really needed versus things we weren’t using. I’m still working on this one.




Now for the main project! Every summer as the light changes with the length of days, our kitchen becomes a cave for 3 to 4 months. The reason: most of the walls in our kitchen are made of red tumbled, rudely constructed brick! I've decided to go for it and paint them white! I’m starting with the wall with the fireplace. Since I’m doing this myself, I’m hoping to use a natural earth mud product to even out the surface of the brick. I’m not comfortable using joint compound. It’s too toxic for me to handle. After I mud over the wall, I will then paint it white! I’m not sure how long this will take me, but I promise before and after photos when I’m done. If anyone has any advice on working with brick walls, please let me know.

I’m hoping to take it from this . . . .



To this . . .






The last two photos via Apartment Therapy

I hope you're all having a great summer!


10 comments:

textile artist said...

I am having exactly the same problem as you-too many lovely things and too little space!!! I haven't been as brace as you ....yet!!!! Love your white piano!

Stacey said...

i need to declutter too! Love your inspiration for your brick wall and can't wait to see how it turns out! XX

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Nancy, the piano is fabulous! I wish we were there to help with the transition. SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Anita

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy very impressive youve done a great job and love the little blue slippers fay xx

NeereAnDear said...

How fascinating ... I have never seen a technique like that with the brick... I have seen it painted over before but never seen it filled in then painted ... I am enamored by this ...cant wait to see this finished ....

The piano looks amazing !!

You are inspiring me to get moving with some things that I need to do myself ...

LOTS OF HUGS
JO

Elaine said...

Wow, that is a big summer project but I know it will turn out well. You are so talented and handy I'm sure it will look great!

The piano looks wonderful, I'll bet it fits nicely in your living room.

June said...

Hi Nancy,
Oh my goodness you are taking on some heavy duty projects. Because I have painted a lot of furniture, I know how hard a piano must be to paint! You made the piano beautiful! I am so glad you decided to keep it in your home. I used to say that a home without a piano just wasn't a home. But now I have no piano, because it went to live with the only daughter who really kept up her playing. Three of them had lessons and could play but Ember is the only one who still does. I always wished I had learned. Do you play? I can imagine you there playing something lovely.
I can't wait to see the brick painted. I know it will brighten the space beautifully.
I loved reading the post before as well, and as always I love the amazing shots you capture of your home full of grace.
hugs from here...

Marysol said...

Well Nancy, it seems we're busy doing the same thing. I'm also in the process of clearing out my house (starting with the bedroom) to make more room for other things.

However, I'm not at all worried about where to put my lovely white piano, because, (doggone it!) I don't have one.

In any event, I'm going to miss your rustic brick wall, but I also like where you're going with it.

And yes, I hope to see lots more pictures of all your hard work and creativity!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Nancy my dearest...thank you for visiting CHEZ MOI...to take only A PEEK of our little space, now made a little bigger. I feel like I live in a palace. I send you wishes for a calmer weekend and week of promise ahead....Anita

Auntie Cake said...

Hi Nancy!
Just stopping in to get my "Nancy beauty fix!" I have been busy with graduation things here and sounds like you have been VERY BUSY with house projects. Everything looks great so far, and I so wish I lived close so I could come help with the brick project (not kidding, I love accomplishing projects like that...) I love the wall as is, but the treated wall is HEAVENLY and just screams your beautiful, romantic style. I hope all goes well for you, and that it is way easier than you first thought.

Good luck with the organizing. If you figure that one out, post about it so you can solve all our organizing projects!

Hope you get some time to enjoy a beautiful summer day!
Kate